In this study, we evaluated the water balance for Chinese cabbage cultivation in spring season with different upland soils using weighable lysimeter, and investigated the evapotranspiration at different growth stage of Chinese cabbage and total inflows and outflows as affected by soil texture . Outflows such as percolation and evapotranspiration were different with soil type (i.e., soil texture), while no significant difference for total inflows. It was also shown that the least amount of drainage in the loam with high bulk density and the largest amount of drainage in silty clay loam. This is thought to be the result of the vertical movement of water through macropore along with the cracking of the soil that was created by repeated shrinkage and expansion of the silt clay loam during the winter season. The evapotranspiration during the Chinese cabbage cultivation period was the highest in loam, and this is probably due to the large leaf area of the Chinese cabbage grown in loam and high biomass weight. Based on the data obtained using the weighable lysimeter, water movement and water balance of the upland soil could be evaluated. Our study will contribute to the development of national factors in Korea for the estimation of the water management for upland crops with production and accumulation of several years data.
The water balance for Chinese cabbage cultivation in spring season on different upland soils using weighable lysimeters from April 9 to June 4 in 2018.
Water use Soil texture† SiCL L SL Input (mm) Effective precipitation 175.5±3.1 175.4±2.5 175.7±0.9 Irrigation 36.0±2.3 37.3±0.5 38.4±1.2 Total 211.5 212.7 214.1 Output (mm) Drainage 78.5±18.4 51.8±2.5 78.4±0.3 Evapotranspiration 205.7±22.0 237.4±5.5 218.9±3.5 Runoff 0 0 0 Total 284.2 289.2 297.3 Changes in soil water storage -72.7 -76.5 -83.2
†SiCL, L, and SL indicated silty clay loam, loam, and sandy loam in soil texture, respectively.
- Allen, R.G., L.S. Pereira, D. Raes, and M. Smith. 1998. Crop evapotranspiration: guidelines for computing crop requirements. Irrigation and Drainage Paper 56. United Nations-Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), Rome, Italy.
- Assouline, S. 2006. Modeling the relationship between soil bulk density and the hydraulic conductivity function. Vadose Zone J. 5(2):697-705.10.2136/vzj2005.0084
- Chae, J.C. and S.W. Kim. 2001. Effect of soil texture on rice growth and paddy soil percolation under lysimeter condition. Korean J. Crop Sci. 46:236-240.
- Durner, W. 1994. Hydraulic conductivity estimation for soils with heterogeneous pore structure. Water Resour. Res. 30(2):211-223.10.1029/93WR02676
- Gee, G.W. and J.W. Bauder. 1986. Particle size analysis. In: A. Klute (ed.). Method of soil analysis. Part 1. (2nd edition). American Society of Agronomy, Madison, Wisconsin, USA.
- Han, K.H., H.M. Ro, H.J. Cho, L.Y. Kim, S.W. Hwang, H.R. Cho, and K.C. Song. 2008. Mobility of nitrate and phosphate through small lysimeter with three physico-chemically different soils. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 41(4):260-266.
- Hargreaves, G.H. and R.G. Allen. 2003. History and evaluation of Hargreaves evapotranspiration. J. Irrig. Drain. Eng. 129(1):53-63.10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9437(2003)129:1(53)
- Hargreaves, G.H. and Z.A. Samani. 1985. Reference crop evapotranspiration from temperature. Appl. Eng. Agric. 1(2):96-99.10.13031/2013.26773
- Hillel, D. 1998. Environmental soil physics: fundamentals, applications, and environmental considerations. Academic Press, California, USA.PMC1459797
- Jensen, M.E., R.D. Burman, and R.G. Allen. 1990. Evapotranspiration and irrigation water requirements. American Society of Civil Engineers Manuals and Reports on Engineering. Practice No. 70. Am. Soc. Civil Eng. New York.
- Jung, Y.S., H.D. Sa, S. Kang, S.B. Oh, and J.S. Lee. 2015. Soil water characteristic curve using volumetric pressure plate extractor incorporated with TDR system. J. Korean Geotech. Soc. 31(8):17-28.10.7843/kgs.2015.31.8.17
- Keith, B. and P. Germann. 1982. Macropores and water flow in soils. Water Resour. Res. 18(5):1311-1325.10.1029/WR018i005p01311
- Kim, S.N. 2003. Analysis of influence by soil water-characteristic curve and permeability-suction relationship for the water flow in unsaturated soil. J. Korean Soc. Hazard Mitig. 3(2):119-125.
- Lee, Y.J, K.H. Han, S.B. Lee, J.K. Sung, Y.S. Song, and D.B. Lee. 2017. Nutrient leaching and crop uptake in weighing lysimeter planted with soybean as affected by water management. Korean J. Environ. Agric. 36(3):147-153.10.5338/KJEA.2017.36.3.30
- NAAS. 2011. Soil and plant analyses. National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA, Suwon, Korea.
- NIAS. 2017. Fertilization standard on crops (3rd edition). National Institute of Agricultural Sciences, RDA, Wanju, Korea.
- Ok, J.H, N.H. Doan, H. Watanabe, D.Q. Thuyet, and J. Boulange. 2012. Behavior of butachlor and pyrazosulfuron- ethyl in paddy water using micro paddy lysimeters under different temperature conditions in spring and summer. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 89:306-311.10.1007/s00128-012-0700-122696099
- Ok, J.H, S. Pisith, H. Watanabe, D.Q. Thuyet, J. Boulange, and K. Takagi. 2015. Effect of rice husk gasification residue application on herbicide behavior in micro paddy lysimeter. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 94:791-795.10.1007/s00128-015-1515-725763539
- Park, S.W., J.Y. Park, D.H. Tae, and Y.J. Sim. 2010. Effects of overburden pressure and clay content on water retention characteristics of unsaturated weathered soils. J. Korean Soc. Civ. Eng. 30(1C):53-63.
- Sang, W.G., J.H. Kim, P. Shin, H.S. Cho, M.C. Seo, and G.H. Lee. 2017. A study on grain yield response and limitations of CERES-barley model according to soil types. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 50(6):509-519.
- Seo, M.J, K.H. Han, K.H. Jung, H.R. Cho, Y.S. Zhang, and S.Y. Choi. 2016. Effect of temperature and plow pan on water movement in monolithic weighable lysimeter with paddy sandy loam soil during winter season. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 49(4):300-309.10.7745/KJSSF.2016.49.4.300
- Seo, M.J., K.H. Han, H.R. Cho, J.H. Ok, Y.S. Zhang, Y.H. Seo, K.H. Jung, H.S. Lee, and G.S. Kim. 2017. Interpreting in situ soil water characteristics curve under different paddy soil types using undisturbed lysimeter with soil sensor. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 50(5):336-344.
- Shin, E.C., H.J. Lee, and Y.I. Oh. 2004. Prediction of soil-water characteristic curve and unsaturated permeability coefficient of reclaimed ground. J. Korean Geotech. Soc. 20(1):109-120.
- Vargas-Amelin, E. and P. Pindado. 2014. The challenge of climate change in Spain: Water resources, agriculture and land. J. Hydrol. 518:243-249.10.1016/j.jhydrol.2013.11.035
- Publisher :Korean Society of Soil Science and Fertilizer
- Publisher(Ko) :한국토양비료학회
- Journal Title :Korean Journal of Soil Science and Fertilizer
- Journal Title(Ko) :한국토양비료학회 학회지
- Volume : 51
- No :4
- Pages :555-563
- Received Date :2018. 10. 05
- Accepted Date : 2018. 11. 17